((ADDITIONAL ENGLISH WEB PAGE FOR READERS))

Monday, April 5, 2010

Will not leave India till my name is cleared: Shoaib

Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Malik Monday said he would not leave India till his name is cleared in the controversy surrounding his alleged first marriage to a city  girl. Accompanied by his bride-to-be, Indian tennis star Sania Mirza, he spoke to media persons outside her residence here and declared that they would marry April 15 as scheduled.“I am here for my marriage and to clear my name. I will Inshaallah clear my name and am cooperating with the police and Indian government. I will do everything,” Shoaib told reporters here in a chaotic press conference.Facing a volley of questions, the Pakistani batsman maintained that he had done nothing wrong and hence there was no question of apologising.He also challenged Ayesha Siddiqui to come before the media, adding the world would know the truth once she comes out.“I have never met the girl whose photographs were sent to me. I don’t know who is Ayesha. I used to call her (the girl who is claiming to be his first wife) Maha Apa and Apa means elder sister,” Shoaib said.“I am here, why doesn’t she come before the camera, and I will answer all the questions."The cricketer admitted that police had taken away his passport after the questioning Monday morning but was confident that he would get it back by the evening. “Nobody can touch me till charges against me are proved,” he said when asked if he fears arrest.He said the Pakistani high commissioner in India spoke to him and assured him full assistance in clearing his name.A tense-looking Sania said she was upset over the allegations but claimed she knew the truth. “Our marriage will Inshallah take place on April 15. There is no question of postponing it,” she said.“We are representing our countries in different ways, and it is very painful to speak on such matters,” Sania said.Shoaib also termed Ayesha’s allegations “a cheap publicity gimmick”.To questions by reporters that Ayesha alleged she had got pregnant after her “marriage” with Shoaib and had had a “miscarriage”, Shoaib said: “Let her first prove it, and then let’s probe it.”
======================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment